6.02.2006

Don't buy the warranty.

I hate dealing with car maintenance. My whole day today has been spent dealing with my car. Now, I love my car--2002 Toyota Camry--and I want to take care of it so that it can be a valued part of my life for years to come. But when my dad and I bought the car, we made a mistake. We bought the warranty. Because of the warranty, I have to have it fixed at specific, authorized locations (i.e. the Dealership). And now, the stupid warranty people won't even authorize any claims I make from here on out because I have to prove that I have had oil changes every 3000 miles for the last year and a half. I don't have those receipts. Now that wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't for the mechanics who have my car at this very moment. Of course they're trying to milk me for every single penny I have.

Well, I have resolved that I am not going to give them my pennies (or benjamins). I am getting a second opinion. Forget the warranty.

I will also be getting a comforting bowl of chocolate ice cream.

2 comments:

me said...

is there another toyota dealer around that you could get a second opinion from AND maybe they'll be nicer and give your warranty some action?

did you pay for your oil changes with debit or credit? you could look up those records online with your bank or credicard company if they have a decent online set up or you could look at your paper statements. or checks for that matter! or maybe you could contact the place you had your oil changed...

Liz said...

good advice! yeah, i'm getting a second opinion this week. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure of all the places that I got oil changes--I know I got a couple in Lincoln, one in Indiana, and at least two down here--and I know for sure that it wasn't every 3000 miles like it's supposed to be. It was never more than 5000, but hey--that doesn't matter to these guys. I'm okay about the whole thing now, but at the time I was pretty steamed. Live and learn, I guess, huh.