1.03.2006

I had my first seriously dramatic encounter with a parent tonight. I have to admit that I'm still a little shaken up over it. I don't think anyone has spoken to me in that way since I was a child. I felt like a child. I felt responsible. Well, I was responsible. I tried to apologize, and eventually the parent calmed down and apologized too. But I've never been put in such a difficult position. In the end, we were all crying--the student, the parent, the teacher--and it felt horrible. But it was resolved, and I felt like God enabled me to handle it with grace. I tried hiding the fact that I was choking up, and I think I was pretty successful, but I bawled afterwards for awhile. It was a huge learning experience, and I hope that I'm a little more stable in similar conversations that will inevitably take place in the future.

I knew that this would happen eventually, and I'm glad that I went through it. But I did not enjoy it at all.

Welcome back to school.

7 comments:

Veritas said...

Remember how far you have come. Less than a year ago you were just leaving school, not knowing what the future had in store. Moving to Florida, taking a new position as a full-time teacher, moving to a knew church, hammering out your personal understanding of Reformed theology. Now you are really experiencing life on your own...you are a woman now. Your new friends love and respect you, your church appreciates you, and your students are boneheads but will love you when they get old enough to realize that you really cared for and loved them. When the present is hard, look back and realize that you aren't a "self-made woman," but are a progressively sanctified new creation, hammered into existence by the deft but sharp chisel of the grace of God. Soli Deo Gloria!

me said...

no offense veritas (whoever that is) but liz was already a great woman.

Liz said...

thanks jazz! :)

Ron Henzel said...

And don't forget, when it comes to their kids, some parents have itchy trigger-fingers.

Jewels said...

what happened? i'm just trying to prepare myself for the future, and i'm curious, of course. :) i still hope we get to teach together some day, liz!

Veritas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Veritas said...

Touche jazz..But you must realize that I have only, rather unfortunately, discovered this of late. I wish you would have told me earlier...