3.25.2003

Ever have it that... you just feel really sensitive about everything? You feel like you're probably annoying every single person you come across, and all those same people probably notice all the things you're overly self-concious of, like the way your shirt accentuates your poochy stomach and the soft part of your hip that tends to fall just a little over the top of your jeans, or the line of demarkation where your roots are starting to show. Then there's always the sensitivity to the comments people make. You wonder if they're offended, when really they're just biting their lip because they're hungry, or they have something in their eye, and that's why there's no eye contact. My personal favorite is always wondering how badly they're wishing I'm somewhere else, a hundred miles from wherever they are. Usually, in my estimation, they're probably wishing I was in Abu Dhabi. When I really think about it, though, all of these so-called sensitivities are just a result of a strange variation on pride. I'm so concerned with looking good to other people that I allow myself to be pre-occupied with what they're thinking about me. That's a fairly selfish position- very "me" centered. Can it really be called "bad self-esteem?" Possibly. But I think it probably stems more from a preoccupation with myself and thinking I deserve to have people look at me in a positive light more than a strong desire to make sure other people are happy and satisfied with their life.

No comments: